Warm and sunny, at least mostly, July is our favourite month!
This month we will be doing a series of short articles on inspiration and motivation for authors like you. Pardon us if we meander a little, it’s a lazy month in summer and we, like many writers, sometimes like to go with the flow and let ideas percolate and inspiration seep in as bits and pieces.
Please join in by responding to the question at the end of articles to help keep the momentum going for authors reading along and working on their book manuscripts.
“If one waits for the right time to come before writing, the right time never comes.” — James Russell Lowell, poet and critic
So, here is our favourite approach to getting started writing, even when you might be struggling to get motivated:
- Place a pad and pencil on the table
- Go outside, feel the sun on your face, breathe deeply.
- Close your eyes and let your mind wander (it’s really interesting how the shadows of clouds, even with your eyes closed can show shifting and evolving light).
- Keep your eyes closed and picture a place, a landscape, a sky … use these images to help you shift your mindset and get inspired.
- Sit at the table and start writing. Don’t worry so much about what you write, simply start and have the belief that the words will come.
“The fact is, it’s easier to write than to want to write. Just pick up your pen, put down a word. Any word. — John Dufresne, author of Love Warps the Mind a Little
What helps you to stop putting off writing and/or get started writing?0