While there has been lots of articles on this, it is not something you do once and then let be. Getting people to your website could be a big part of the bread & butter for your business (readership engagement). Webpages that are active get more attention from search engines. Improvement should be an ongoing endeavour. So have a read below, there is probably something you haven’t done yet or could update!
- Choose relevant keywords – not just separate words but short phrases
- Make sure your page title, in the title tag, clearly defines the page’s content
- Also the page description – this is what searchers see on search engine results pages – be clear about what they’ll get when they click; convince them to click
- Have you entered your ‘image alt’ tags? While an image may look great, search engines can’t read what is in the image. Search engines can’t read the content within images so they have no context to see it as an answer to a search. Or, if users have image display disabled, they won’t see your message either. Image alt tags help make your content ‘accessible’ – to everyone.
- URLs, the address of the webpage, are one of the things that tell search engines what’s on a page – do yours contain keywords? If your URLs contain strings of characters, talk to your web admin. Lower case letters, numbers and dashes for spaces make more sense to users and search engines.
BEST TIP ~ Great content makes a difference! Create clear, fresh, relevant content and update your webpages often.